WSET Level 3 Award in Wines (Oxford)
With Michael Palij MW and Nick Gay DiplWSET as your tutors, this in-depth and intensive course is the Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 3 Award in Wines and is intended as vocational training in product knowledge for those employed in the drinks industry who already have a good working understanding of the broad range of alcoholic beverages available, but who need to refine and develop their knowledge. The course is also increasingly popular amongst those not employed in the drinks industry but who have a serious interest in wine and wish to study this fascinating subject to a very high level of theoretical knowledge and tasting skill under the guidance of professional wine tutors. A crucial distinction between Level 3 and the lower WSET levels is the analytical tasting component to the exam. You will have to learn and then demonstrate the ability to critically assess the aromas and flavours in wine and be able to judge its quality using the WSET's systematic approach to tasting.
Oxford Chelt Wine School is delighted to be working with Michael Palij MW in delivering the teaching of this course. Michael has over 20 years' experience in teaching all levels of WSET (including the Diploma, offered by his own consultancy, WineMatters) and will be teaching the first 3 sessions and a later session, helping you to develop and refine your tasting technique. Head tutor Nick Gay DiplWSET has many years experience teaching WSET at Levels 1 to 3 and will be responsible for teaching all other sessions.
Please Note: the deadline for booking your place on this course is Friday 30th August to ensure all students receive their study materials in advance of the start of the course, with time to familiarise themselves with the course specification. Anyone wishing to book any later than this deadline should contact the Wine School before booking to ensure that provision can be made.
- Our WSET Level 3 Award in Wines is run over 6 alternate Sunday* sessions (running from 10am-5pm) on 8th & 22nd September; 6th, 13th and 27th October; and 3rd November * NB there is only one week between the third and fourth tuition days and between the fifth/last tuition day and the exam
- In addition to the 36 hours of tutored tasting and lecture time, it is recommended that all students complete a total of at least 55 hours of private study; around 8 hours preparation before each Sunday session is advised.
- A full layout of the course timetable will be issued at the start of the course to help you plan your time.
Course Starts: Sunday 8th September 2019
Course Finishes: Sunday 3rd November 2019. This final Sunday is the exam day.
What's included in the Course Fee?
• All WSET course materials including 'Understanding wines: Explaining Style and Quality' course manual (comprehensive 200 page textbook), Study Guide, Specification Booklet and Full SAT Tasting Card
• All tasting wine (approx 70-80 wines)
• All course handouts, including a copy of study timetable/planner
• All course tuition
• a Mock Tasting Exam (with full feedback) and several Mock Theory tests for you to test yourself
• Examination Paper
• Official Certificate and pin for all those who pass
Study Materials: Your full study pack will be posted to you 1-2 weeks before the start of the course. For this reason, the deadline for booking your place on the course is Friday 30th August 2019. Anyone wishing to book after this deadline should call the Wine School in the first instance to see if provision can be made.
Special Educational Needs: please make the School aware if you have a condition which may mean that you will qualify for additional help during the exam such as dyslexia.
Places remaining: 2
Course Date/Time: Sun 8th Sep 2019 at 10am - 5pm
Duration: 6 alternate Sundays
Venue: Wig & Pen, 9-13 George Street, Oxford OX1 2AU