WSET L2 Award in Wines & Spirits (Oxford) Sunday daytime course
This exciting and structured course is the Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 2 Award (formerly known as the Intermediate Certificate) and is intended as vocational training in product knowledge for those employed in the drinks industry who have little previous knowledge of the broad range of alcoholic beverages available. The course is also increasingly popular amongst those not employed in the drinks industry but who have a serious interest in wine, and wish to broaden their knowledge in a structured way by gaining this internationally recognised qualification. WSET Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits has full accreditation from OfQual as part of the UK Government’s Qualifications & Credits Framework as a Level 2 Vocational Qualification.
Please note: the deadline for booking your place on this course is course is Monday 29th October to ensure all students receive their study materials in advance of the start of the course, with time to familiarise themselves with the course specification. Anyone wishing to book any later than this deadline should contact the Wine School before booking to ensure that provision can be made.
Fee Structure: the total fee for this course is £360 (or £325 for registered students). This can be paid here in a single instalment OR by paying a deposit of £100 and the balance of £260 (£225 for students) by Monday 29th October (an invoice will be emailed to the participant after payment of this deposit; please notify us by email if you are a registered student).
- This course runs from 10.15am to 5.15pm on 3 consecutive Sundays: 4th, 11th and 18th November 2018, in the function room of the Wig & Pen pub, 9-13 George Street, Oxford OX1 2AU
- The exam will take place at the end of the final session and lasts for 1 hour
- In addition to the 18 hours of teaching time, students are expected to complete around 12 hours of private study in their own time
- A link to the Course Specification will be sent to you before the course, but can also be viewed here if you wish to review it before booking
- Wine Tasting: Taste and describe wines using the WSET® Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Food and Wine Matching: A practical guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine
- Wine Service and Storage: Learn the correct way to store and serve wine and recognise common faults
- Number of Wines Tasted: about 40 wines, including sparkling wines, and 4 spirits, will be tasted on this course
- Labelling: Learn how to decode and understand labels
- Factors influencing the Style of Wine: Study the factors influencing the style, quality and price of wine in the vineyard and winery
- Grape Varieties: Learn about the styles of wines produced by key international & regional grape varieties
- Key White grape varieties: Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling. Other white varieties: Chenin Blanc, Gewurztraminer, Muscadet, Pinot Gris/Grigio, Semillon, Torrontés, Trebbiano and Verdicchio
- Key Black grape varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, Grenache, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah/Shiraz. Other red varieties: Barbera, Carmenère, Gamay, Malbec, Montepulciano, Nebbiolo, Pinotage, Primitivo, Sangiovese, Tempranillo & Zinfandel
- Key Wine-Producing regions of the World: Learn about the main styles of wines from the key wine-producing regions. France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, USA, Argentina, Chile, Australia, New Zealand & South Africa
- Duration of course: 18 hours intensive teaching time and 1 hour examination (one Sunday a week for three weeks).
- Recommended Private Study: 12 hours additional private study is recommended for this course.
- Examination: 50 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 1 hour. A mark of 55% is required to pass
- Certification: All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin.
What's included in the Course Fee?
- All WSET course materials including; Looking Behind the Label course manual, Study Guide and Tasting Card
- All tasting wine (approx 40 wines and 4 spirits)
- All course tuition
- Examination Paper
- Official Certificate and pin for all those who pass
Study Materials: your full study pack will be posted to you 1-2 weeks before the start of the course. For this reason, the deadline for booking your place on the course is Monday 29th October. Anyone wishing to book after this deadline should call the Wine School in the first instance to see if provision can be made.
Special Educational Needs: please make the School aware at the time of booking if you have a condition which may mean that you will qualify for additional help during the exam such as dyslexia.
Course Tutor: Nick Gay
Places remaining: 1
Course Date/Time: Sun 4th Nov 2018 at 10.15am - 5.15pm
Duration: 3 consecutive Sunday
Venue: Wig & Pen, 9-13 George Street, Oxford OX1 2AU