WSET L1 Award in Wines (Oxford)
The Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 1 Award in Wine (formerly known as the Foundation Certificate) is an ideal starting point for anyone who is embarking on a professional career in the drinks or hospitality industry and wishes to be introduced in a structured way to: styles of wine; storing and serving of wine; and food and wine matching. It is an interactive course which is completed in a single day, including an exam, making it easy to fit in with busy working schedules. This course takes place at Portabello, 7 South Parade, Summertown, Oxford, OX2 7JL.
Please note: the final date for enrolling on this course is Tuesday 2nd October.
This WSET Level 1 Award in Wines has full accreditation from OfQual as part of the UK Government’s Qualifications & Credits Framework as a Level 1 Vocational Qualification.
The course includes
• a study book for each participant
• the tasting of at least 10 wines
• food & wine matching activities
• professional WSET tuition by a WSET-Certified Tutor
• all registration and examination fees
• an internationally-recognised WSET qualification certificate and pin for those who pass
Level 1 Award Synopsis:
- Wine Tasting: Taste and describe wines using the WSET® Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Food and Wine Matching: A practical guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine successfully
- Wine Service and Storage: Learn the correct way to store and serve wine and recognise common faults found in wine
- Social Responsibility: A guide to sensible drinking
- Types and Styles of Wine: Learn about what makes wines taste different
- Grape Varieties: Learn about the characteristics and styles of wines produced from the main grape varieties (white): Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling; (black) Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah/Shiraz
- Named Wines: White: Pinot Grigio, Sancerre, Chablis, Sauternes
- Red: Claret, Beaujolais, Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Rioja, Chianti
- Number of Wines Tasted: 10 wines will be tasted as part of the course
- Study Materials: Students will receive the Level 1 Study Guide
- Duration of course: 1 day inclusive of examination
- Examination: 30 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 45 minutes. A mark of 70% is required to pass
- Certification: All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin
Please note: the final date for enrolling on this course is Tuesday 2nd October in order to complete the registration process which will allow students to take the exam on the day of the course.
Special Educational Needs: please make the School aware if you have a condition which may mean that you will qualify for additional help during the exam such as dyslexia.
Places remaining: 2
Course Date/Time: Mon 8th Oct 2018 at 9.30am - 5pm
Duration: 7.5 hours incl 1 hou
Venue: Portabello, 7 South Parade, Summertown, Oxford, OX2 7JL