8 Week World Tour
World of Wine in Oxford AND Cheltenham
Do you want to
- grow your confidence in choosing wine?
- explore and discover new favourites?
- save money by learning to choose the wines you are most likely to enjoy?
- meet new people sharing your interest?
Our World of Wine Courses are held at St Peter's College in central Oxford AND the Wyastone Townhouse in Cheltenham; for one evening a week over 8 weeks, enjoy a practical introduction to the world of wine (it’s flexible – you can even join mid-way and pick up any missed sessions later in the year!). You do not need any previous experience and the emphasis is on learning by tasting different varieties of wine.
Please note: the £105 course fee excludes the cost of wine and materials, which is priced at £10 per evening payable on the night. Great value at under £25 per evening, representing a total saving of £27.50 off the price of the eight evenings booked separately (like having one night free)!
What will you get from the course? As well as gaining a good understanding of the world’s major grape varieties and the wine styles they produce, you will learn to taste like a professional and be able to identify faults found in wine. In summary, you will
- taste over 50 wines in 8 weeks, with retail prices from £5 to ca £20
- discover where to obtain today's best value for money wines.
- receive food & wine matching advice
- learn about common wine faults - how to spot them
- find out about storing & serving wine
- taste the worlds' major grape varieties – Shiraz, Cabernet, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Sangiovese, Tempranillo, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Riesling, Semillon, Viognier, Pinot Grigio, Chenin Blanc & many others
WHAT IF I HAVE TO MISS ANY EVENINGS?
Not a problem. You may either send a substitute, or pick up the missed session on a subsequent World Course. All we ask is for 3 working days notice; we will give you a credit you can use for any of Oxford Chelt Wine School courses and tastings. Courses run throughout the year, with new dates announced soon.
COURSE PROGRAMME (8 weeks):
1. Introduction to the World of Wine - Tasting skills, aroma tests, major grape varieties (note it is not a requirement to attend this session first - if you happen to be away and can't attend, the content is re-capped in other sessions and it won't spoil your enjoyment to catch it again later or even do it last!)
2. France - Bordeaux, Burgundy, the Loire & the Rhone; plus how wine is made & the use of oak
3. Europe I - Alsace, Germany & Austria: plus how to serve wine - temperature & decanting
4. Europe II - Italy, Spain & Portugal; plus new regions & wines, food & wine matching
5. New World I - Australia & New Zealand - the different regions; plus the use of oak, other wine treatments
6. New World II - Chile & Argentina; plus the importance of climate & weather
7. New World III - North America & South Africa; plus how to store wine, common wine faults
8. Champagne & Sparkling Wines from around the World (including UK!) plus how it's made, difference between Vintage/Non-vintage.
WHAT SHOULD I GET FROM THE COURSE?
By the end of the 8 evenings, you will have gained a good understanding of the worlds' major grape varieties and the wine styles they produce. You will have learnt to taste wine like a professional, and be able to identify a corked wine. You will also have an appreciation of the worlds' major wine regions and the wines they produce. You will also have learnt which foods match well with which wines and why. You will also have developed your sense of smell and wine vocabulary AND made new friends along the way!
Professional ISO tasting glasses, tasting sheets and some nibbles are provided on each evening.